I believe that moderation is key, but indulgence can ignite an inner spark; that learning is a daily event and being challenged is exciting. Always remember that to laugh is to love and to live.
Sunday, March 28, 2010
Food is your friend
Eating healthily was a challenge for me for many years. I didn't listen to what my body found nourishing and what it rejected, which resulted in various weight gains, difficulty with weight loss and general poor digestions. Perhaps it's a sign of maturity, or just simply aging, that I now do notice what does and doesn't work for me. This has culminated in an 18 year shift from vegetarian to ovo-vegetarian and now to a vegan diet. Although daily yoga practice has most certainly sped up my naturally slow metabolism, I am aware that paying attention to fat content, sodium levels and carbohydrate intake is important. This can be a challenge with many vegan substitutes often containing high levels of two or more of these. Cooking for just myself can seem so pointless and wasteful. I've been finding exciting recipes that are small in quantity and easy to prepare, because honestly, it's the preparation not the cooking that is time consuming, and eating just salad every day is not a sustainable option for me. So, in addition to having a creative writing outlet, I want to use this blog to detail highlights and challenges of my vegan lifestyle. Where possible, I will include accurate nutrition information and otherwise I will include estimates. For my own information, I may include weight and measurements from time to time, as I'd like to track this lifestyle's effectiveness from a weight management perspective (not necessarily weight loss, although 5lbs off wouldn't hurt).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment