I believe that moderation is key, but indulgence can ignite an inner spark; that learning is a daily event and being challenged is exciting. Always remember that to laugh is to love and to live.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Cooking vegan and KLP

Passover is always a trying time for anyone who enjoys carbohydrates in their diet, but for vegetarians and vegans it can be extremely difficult as many vegetarian forms of protein are not kosher for passover (KLP), including soy-based products. Thankfully quinoa is deemed KLP and as it's relatively high in protein is a good substitute for both rice and protein.

My first attempt today at a vegan, low-fat, low-carb, (relatively) high-protein, KLP dish was actually a success, and also extremely quick and easy. I'd also like to note that I'm not the biggest fan of quinoa and would usually prefer to use brown or wild rice instead, but this time I really like it! I think I'm going to make a non-KLP version next week, adding tamari-marinated tofu or maybe tempeh.

"Stir-fried" vegatables with quinoa:

1/4 cup quinoa
1 small onion, diced
1/2 zucchini, diced
6 broccoli florets
6 cauliflower florets
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ginger powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp basil flakes (optional)

I cheated and cooked the quinoa in the microwave according to the directions on the packet. While it was cooking, I "stir-fried" the vegetables.

In a large saucepan, add water to line the bottom of the pan. Once water starts to heat up, add the onion and let cook until almost translucent and fragrant. Add diced zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower. Stir and let all vegetable steam until the broccoli and cauliflower have a bright color. Add garlic powder, ginger powder, turmeric and salt and stir through. Add a little water if necessary. Stir until flavors are cooked through the vegetables. Add to quinoa and eat.



No comments:

Post a Comment